Easy One-Pot Chicken Biryani Recipe
Chicken Biryani is a delicious and aromatic rice dish that originated in South Asia. It is made with basmati rice, chicken, and a variety of spices.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, ginger-garlic paste, yoghurt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well to coat the chicken. Let it sit for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides.
- Add the onions and green chilies to the pot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the cilantro, and mint leaves. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the rice and 3 cups water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
- Stir in the saffron milk and ghee.
- Cover the pot and cook on low heat for 10 minutes more, or until the biryani is heated through.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Marinating the chicken and letting it rest for a couple of hours (or even overnight) makes the chicken tender and flavourful. If you're not in a rush don't skip that step.
- To get the best results, use basmati rice. It is a long-grain rice that has a nutty flavor and will fluff up nicely when cooked.
- Soak the rice in cold water for at least 30 minutes before cooking. This will help the rice cook evenly and prevent it from becoming mushy.
- Don't overcook the rice. The rice should be cooked through, but still have a bit of bite to it.
- If you don't have saffron, you can use turmeric powder.
- To get the best flavor, cook the biryani in a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven. This will help to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- To make the biryani more flavorful, you can add cashews, raisins, or potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken Biryani is a popular Indian dish known for its fragrant and flavorful combination of chicken, rice, and aromatic spices.
The main ingredients in Chicken Biryani include chicken, rice (usually basmati), aromatic spices (like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves), onions, tomatoes, yogurt, and a blend of spices for marinating and flavor.
Yes, you can make Chicken Biryani in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot for a quicker preparation. The steps are adapted to suit these appliances, ensuring that the flavors are still well-infused.
Chicken Biryani is often served with side dishes like raita (yogurt sauce), salad, and pickle. Mint chutney and boiled eggs are also common accompaniments.
Yes, there are many regional variations of Chicken Biryani in India alone, with different regions using distinct spices and cooking techniques.