Refreshing Ginger Lemonade Recipe
Looking for the perfect picnic drink and thirst quencher on a hot summer day? The refreshing ginger lemonade is the drink for you! This easy to make ginger lemonade is tart, slightly sweet and super refreshing! It couldn't be easier to make with just 3 ingredients and 25 minutes to prepare.
FOR GARNISH (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup (120 ml) water, the agave, and the chopped fresh ginger. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, cook for 10 minutes to extract the ginger flavor. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, to a glass jar or pitcher add lemon juice and remaining water. Place a strainer over the jar/lemon mixture and pass the ginger syrup through it, removing any small pieces of ginger. Whisk the lemonade well to mix in the ginger syrup, and serve it over ice. Optionally, garnish with fresh mint leaves. Serve on its own or as a mixer with tequila, gin, or vodka.
Lemonade can be kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator up to 5 days, or freeze in popsicle molds for a sweet, cold treat! Can also be frozen into ice cubes and added to summer beverages.
- Use fresh ginger. The fresher the ginger, the better the flavor. You can either grate the ginger or use a ginger juicer.
- Use good quality lemon juice. The lemon juice will make up the majority of the flavor of the lemonade, so it is important to use fresh, high-quality lemon juice.
- Use a sweetener that you like. The traditional sweetener for ginger lemonade is sugar, but you can also use honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar.
- Adjust the sweetness to your liking. Some people prefer their ginger lemonade to be very sweet, while others prefer it to be more tart. Start with a small amount of sweetener and taste as you go.
- Add other flavors. You can add other flavors to your ginger lemonade, such as mint, basil, or lavender.
- Serve over ice. Ginger lemonade is best served cold.
- If you don't have a ginger juicer, you can grate the ginger and then squeeze it through a fine-mesh strainer.
- If you don't have fresh lemons, you can use bottled lemon juice. However, the flavor will not be as good.
- If you are using a sweetener that is not as sweet as sugar, you may need to add more of it.
- You can also make ginger lemonade with sparkling water or club soda. This will give it a more refreshing taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ginger lemonade is made with fresh ginger, lemon juice, and sweetener. The ginger gives the lemonade its spicy flavor, the lemon juice gives it its tart flavor, and the sweetener gives it its sweetness.
Ginger lemonade has many potential health benefits. Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and can help to relieve nausea, vomiting, and motion sickness. Lemon juice is a good source of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that can help to boost the immune system.
Yes, you can make ginger lemonade ahead of time. However, it is best to store it in the refrigerator for no more than 24 hours. This is because the ginger can start to lose its flavor after a while.
Yes, you can freeze ginger lemonade. However, it is important to let it cool completely before freezing it. The ginger can start to get bitter if it is frozen while it is still warm.
- Add mint leaves for a refreshing flavor.
- Add basil leaves for a more earthy flavor.
- Add lavender flowers for a floral flavor.
- Add sparkling water or club soda for a more refreshing drink.
- Add vodka or gin for a cocktail.