The Viral Feta Pasta
The idea of just heating some feta cheese with tomatoes and making it into a pasta dish sounds crazy? That's the thing that exploded on Tiktok , and it's surprisingly super tasty as well. Make sure to check our variation out!
Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. In a large skillet or medium baking dish mix the tomatoes, shallot, garlic, and almost all oil (save some for later). Season with salt and pepper to taste, and toss together.
Place the block of feta in the center of the tomato mixture and drizzle with remaining oil. Scatter thyme over tomatoes. Bake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until tomatoes are bursting and feta is golden.
Meanwhile, in a large pot bring salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Save ½ cup pasta water before draining.
In the oven skillet containing the tomatoes and feta, add cooked pasta, pasta water, and lemon zest (optional) and toss until combined. Garnish with basil when serving.
- Use high-quality feta cheese. The feta cheese is the star of the show, so it is important to use a good quality cheese. Look for a feta cheese that is made with sheep's milk and has a strong flavor.
- Use fresh tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes will give the pasta a better flavor and texture. If you can't find fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes, but be sure to drain them well before using them.
- Don't overcook the pasta. Overcooked pasta will be mushy and will not hold up well to the sauce. Cook the pasta according to the package directions or until it is al dente.
- Add some herbs and spices. Feta pasta is a blank canvas, so you can add your favorite herbs and spices to give it more flavor. Some good options include garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and basil.
- Don't be afraid to experiment. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to feta pasta, so feel free to experiment with different ingredients and flavors. You may be surprised at what you come up with!
- You can add other vegetables to the pasta, such as zucchini, mushrooms, or spinach.
- You can also add some protein to the pasta, such as grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
- If you are looking for a vegetarian option, you can omit the feta cheese and use a vegan cheese instead.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are a few reasons why your feta pasta might not be creamy. One possibility is that you didn't use enough feta cheese. Another possibility is that you didn't cook the pasta long enough. Overcooked pasta will be mushy and will not hold up well to the sauce.
Yes, you can use a different type of pasta for feta pasta. Some good options include whole-wheat pasta, penne pasta, or rotini pasta. These pastas will have different textures and flavors, so you can experiment to find what you like best.
Yes, you can use a different type of cheese for feta pasta. Some good options include burrata, cream cheese, blue cheese. These cheeses will have different flavors and textures, so you can experiment to find what you like best.