Italian Chicken Pasta
A hearty Italian chicken pasta with crispy bacon and heavy cream. This recipe for Italian Chicken pasta is so delicious that no one can resist loving it!
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and prepare the pasta according to package directions (until al dente). Drain, keeping 1 cup pasta water for later.
While the pasta is boiling, in a large pan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and cook until golden and no longer pink inside, about 8 minutes per side. Put them aside and let them rest for 10 minutes, then thinly slice.
While the chicken is resting use the same pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy, around 8 minutes. Put to drain on a paper towel–lined plate, then chop the bacon. Pour off half of fat from the pan.
Now continue by adding garlic, tomatoes, and spinach to the pan and cook over medium heat until it smells delightful and it looks slightly withered, around 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then add the heavy cream, mustard, parmesan, and 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water. Let the whole thing simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss until fully coated, then add the chicken and bacon and toss again until combined. (For a looser sauce, stir in more of the reserved pasta water.)
To make it look even better, garnish with basil before serving. Enjoy!
- If you are using a lower-fat or fat-free cream, you may need to add a little bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- You can also add a little bit of nutmeg or white pepper to the sauce to give it more flavor.
- If you are looking for a vegetarian option, you can use tofu instead of chicken.
- Use whole-wheat pasta. Whole-wheat pasta has more fiber than regular pasta, which can help you feel full.
- Use less heavy cream. You can use half the amount of heavy cream called for in the recipe or use a lower-fat version of the cream.
- Use less Parmesan cheese. Parmesan cheese is a high-calorie ingredient, so you can use less of it. You can also use a lower-fat or fat-free version of the cheese.
- Add vegetables. You can add vegetables to the sauce, such as broccoli, mushrooms, or zucchini. These vegetables will add flavor and nutrients without adding many calories.
- Cook the pasta al dente. Pasta that is cooked al dente will have a better texture and will not be as mushy.
- Serve immediately. Heavy cream pasta is best served immediately after it is made.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use a different type of pasta, such as whole-wheat pasta, lentil pasta, or chickpea pasta. These pastas are higher in fiber and protein than regular pasta, which can help you feel fuller longer.
Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time and reheat it later. However, the sauce may thicken as it cools, so you may need to thin it out with a little bit of milk or water before reheating.
You can add other herbs and spices to the sauce, such as garlic powder, onion powder, or Italian seasoning. You can also add vegetables, such as mushrooms, zucchini, or spinach.