Halloumi Salad Recipe
Halloumi Salad is the perfect fresh salad for the hot summer day when you want an easy lunch. It's healthy, tasty and super quick to throw together, either for yourself or for your loved ones. The Cyprotic cheese (Halloumi) makes the salad more filling than the average lunch salad, perfect for hungry kids!
Preheat your oven to 400F/200C. Dice the tomatoes and bell pepper. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place them all in a baking dish, and sprinkle with the smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil, mix well and bake for 20 minutes.
In a medium sized pot bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the bulgur and boullion cube cook for around 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain the water and set aside.
Thinly slice the red onion. In a pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Fry the onion when it softens add the sugar and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3 more minutes.
Cut the halloumi into thick slices. Heat another pan over medium heat. Fry the halloumi for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
Mince the garlic, chop the parsley and mix them together with the sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Rinse the spinach and mix it with the baked veggies and the bulgur.
Serve topped with the halloumi onions and dressing.
- Season the salad well. Don't forget to season the salad with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the salad immediately. Halloumi salad is best served fresh and warm.
- Use good quality halloumi cheese. Halloumi is a salty cheese that is best when it is grilled or pan-fried. Look for halloumi that is firm and has a good flavor.
- If you are making a large salad, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- You can add other ingredients to the salad, such as nuts, seeds, or dried fruit.
- If you are adding nuts or seeds to the salad, make sure to toast them first. This will bring out their flavor and make them more crunchy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make halloumi salad ahead of time. However, it is best to add the halloumi cheese just before serving. This will prevent the cheese from becoming soggy.
Halloumi salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. If you are storing the salad for longer than 24 hours, it is best to keep the dressing separate from the salad.
Halloumi cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. Vegetables are also a good source of vitamins and minerals. However, it is important to watch the amount of dressing you use, as dressing can be high in calories and fat.